Saturday, 30 August 2008

Incidental Music

This is something that annoys me greatly and to understand me you must understand me in a very deep way!!! Sometimes its useful, sometimes insightful but mostly pointless and this is one of the pointless matters that will immediately decide whether I will enjoy a program or not....

Ok, first watch this clip of Blackadder II, possibly the greatest comedic series ever. Its always good fun to watch but to understand my point, fast forward to 3.59 secs when Percy leaves the room.





Next, watch this clip of Friends, there is nothing special about this particular episode but it illustrates my point beautifully. Again, to understand, forward to 4.45 secs.




Now I have absolutely no beef with Friends, so many people love it and I am sure that its a very funny show with lots of funny moments but my point is though, I cannot stand any program that uses pointless incidental music and I immediately switch off when I hear it.

Is it just me? I don't know. However, when you hear the Blackadder incidental music, it is in keeping with the theme of the show, its part of the comedy for me whereas in shows like Friends, the music is just a soundbite that fits the slot. I hope you understand.

Now our boy Luca watches a lot of kids TV and there are a lot of shows that insist on having pointless incidental music breaks between each scene....I cant abide it!!! Tune into Nickelodeon right now and test the theory.

And don't even start me in canned laughter.

So there you go, as always in these matters, you have a choice. Just because this is my opinion it does not mean its right.

No comments: