Sunday, 9 September 2007

Last week at Ingersoll Rand



I am quite sad to be leaving IR. I have been very happy to get out of some jobs in the past but the overwhelming feeling is that the people are good, most of the products do a good job and really, its the various tiers of management and general company attitude at the top levels that let the place down.

I have known IR for a number of years, long before I worked there. In my early days I used to sell IR Briton door closers, lever handle sets and Legge locks and as I moved onto Access Control they were one of the first on the scene with a biometric reader. So as I move on from here, I scratch my head as to why such a respected company has taken a nosedive recently.

I feel sad but ultimately, its shortly no longer to be problem and I am well past the point of believing my input will change how things are done.

Onyx will be a different kettle of fish. A relatively new company, small in numbers and resources at the moment and fighting to carve a way and a reputation in an already saturated market. There is nowhere to hide at Onyx, all decisions made affect every person in the company. So I see it as a chance to excel. I cant wait to throw myself into it and be part of a team that will grow as the success flows in. It will be difficult but it is the challenge I need. I am sick of getting up in the morning and not wanting to do a job, you need to feel like you are making a difference to stay motivated. It also gives me something else to concentrate on other than my own self pity!!!

So, on Friday as I walk out of the gates of IR in Walsall, I will reflect on what might have been but no sooner will I be on the train home, I will stop looking back and focus on looking forward.

No comments: