Some of you may know that my entire background is telesales and technical support in the security industry. Yesterday I had cause to become quite frustrated when I needed some technical help from a supplier of CCTV. So, without naming names etc, here are my 5 top tips that should be considered when either working in or considering employing someone in a technical support role.
1 - The most important lesson. Just because they are calling you, it doesn't mean that they are at fault. Yes, 99.99% of people make genuine errors but the next call could always be the one that exposes a weakness in your product.
2 - Speak English to people. The most common praise I get is that I have never spoken to anyone above their personal level of understanding. I speak English, I break it down to single syllable words if needed but I never go over any ones head.
3 - If you don't know the answer, don't take a guess. If you do this, you will be wrong.
4 - Never avoid the call, always speak to the person. Yesterday I got a technical answer via text message. I am sorry, I don't do "c u l8r" and all that daft talk.
5 - Keep your calm at all times. If you show frustration to the customer then they get frustrated. It will not fix any problem, it will only cause them.
There we go, all rules that I follow and they serve me well. Try them yourself!!!
Saturday, 7 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment