Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Hillsborough - 20 Years On.....

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the tragic happenings on F A Cup Semi Final Day back in 1989.

I remember it well, I was watching it unfold live on telly at a house on Manor Road in Crosby where myself and my friend Roy Evans had stopped by.

I was 16 at the time and although I dont remember much from my youth, I remember Hillsborough and the aftermath clearly.

To be honest, it had little direct effect on me but when I came back into school I realised quickly that I had friends who were at the game and friends who knew people who had died on that day so its true to say that almost everyone in the Liverpool area was affected by it in some way.

On from there, the justice campaign set about ensuring that the people to blame for the accident were made accountable and as a reflection of how things work in the UK, it still continues today.

All I wanted to say was that on that day, 96 people died for no good reason. 96 people who were just doing what they loved, seeing the team that made them happy lost their lives at what should have been a great game. I had been seeing Liverpool at Anfield around that time and it strikes me that from standing on the Kop, these people were no different from me and just doing the thing they loved.

So today at 3.06PM, while I hold my own personal 2 minutes of silence, I will be putting aside the whys and wherefores of how the accident came to happen and I will be remembering the 96 people who just wanted to watch some football and follow their team and lost their lives in such a tragic way.

No comments: