Friday, 25 May 2007

I thought I was about to die......2

For my second "I thought I was about to die....." I want to take you all back to last Friday.

Myself and my good friend, Nick Bartlett, had been attending a security roadshow in Dublin and we had both booked onto the same flight home back to Liverpool.

So after waiting to get on the plane almost last, cheers Nick, lets do all the things YOU want to do!!! We took off on a rather gloomy overcast morning in Dublin.

Now, at this point, I have to tell you, I don't like flying. I used to enjoy flying until 1998 when I went to Australia. Nothing bad happened on that trip but the sheer time spent in the air was unnatural. Since then, I haven't enjoyed flying and grown fearful of every small bump that happens during the flight.

On this particular route, Dublin to Liverpool, I have never enjoyed the trip. The previous time, we were flying over North Wales and it seemed that the pilot slammed the air brakes on and adjusted his course. I can only assume that he had forgotten that he was on his way to Liverpool and when it dawned on him that he was actually coasting his way to Manchester, immediate action needed to be taken. Not nice for the passenger.

Anyway, I digress. So the flight is not too bad, there are a few bumps along the way and the sign of a bumpy ride is that the "Fasten You Seat Belt" sign never went off.

We descend into Liverpool and we clear the cloud base and its a bit windy out there as the plane is gently rocking from side to side so I decide that I better not look out of the window anymore and concentrate on the horizon in the cabin.

Just as we are about to touch down, a side wind catches the plane and tips it a little. It lands on what feels like one wheel, veers, adjusts, bounces onto the other wheel before regaining control. However, all this time, stopping distance is being eaten into and the pilot has to break hard. While the plane was veering, a Irish lady behind me screams "Jesus Christ, what the F**K was that" and I had to start laughing, I thought that if I was going to die then this Irish outburst was the last I would hear. At least they would find my remains with a smile!!!

Anyway, we land and the lady next to me is in tears and there is no word from to cock pit which would only have been manners really to say "Sorry it was a rough one!!!".

So to Ryanair....Yes Cheap Flights may be your motto but cheap service should also be added.

No comments: