I think I am OK to tell you a little more about my new job now!!! On 1st April 2008 (hopefully not an April fool prank) I will be joining an access control company named Salto.The cute little fella in the picture is an XS4 lever set for European Mortise Locks.......ooohhhh!!!
Basically, its a card operated lock. Its battery operated and it uses read/write smart cards to program it. Lost? Well its a good job I am not!!!
You see the concept is simple. Previously, if you wanted a networked access control system around a building then all locks had to be hard wired via a network back to a PC. Very expensive!!!
With Salto, things are a little different. Only 1 door is connected to the PC. That door reprograms other locks within the building by programming system changes onto cards that are used in door 1. That card then carries the new info and updates lock 2 as it is used. The person passing through the door has no idea that their card is reprogramming the system as they move around the building!!! The card also records audit trails as it is used in other locks so that the next time it is used at door 1, it downloads audit events back to the PC. Clever stuff eh!!!
So that's my new job. Get Salto specified. I think its a great piece of kit and I should enjoy it, I am looking forward to getting back to being Mike "Access Control Wizard" Jackson rather than Mike "Looks A Bit Lost Selling Safes" Jackson.
Time will tell eh!!!
1 comment:
I was right with you until you said "Salto" and it all went past me head after that, son.
Post a Comment