Saturday, 21 June 2008

A tale of 2 cars.....

Here is a tale of 2 cars, the 2 cars you see in the picture above.

Now these 2 cars don't know this but they do actually have something in common and that something is that they have at one time or another been my property.

On the left we have faithful FN57 YBM, my current company car used in my employment at Salto and on the right we have fateful DE05 AVV which I leased back in 2005 when I was briefly employed at Neurodynamics.

The picture was taken in the car park of ASDA in Southport this morning. Kerris spotted my old car and I put them together to chat.

Now the story of fateful DE05 AVV is one of the saddest of my working career. I had decided that access control was not my "raison d’être" in life and so I left Securefast and moved to a CCTV company in Cambridge called Neurodynamics. Without going into too much detail, 6 months in I was made redundant after the company changed hands.

However, fateful DE05 AVV made sure that redundancy was not the bain of life that it should have been. I leased the car following some very poor advice and was locked into a contract which would not let me hand the car back in the event of any unpleasantness.

So it was bad enough not having a job but imagine my horror (and Kerris's sheer panic) at finding out that the car would cost ME £7000.00 to relinquish.

Advice followed and lots of it, there was the chance that I could take the car into my new employment at Ingersoll Rand but that door closed pretty soon after the job was offered to me. At that time, I had no option as the Ingersoll Rand job was all that was on the table.

Finally in a "I can only offer you this much and if you don't accept then it will be waiting for you in the car park of the local Tesco with the windows open and the keys in the ignition" moment, Toyota and myself settled at £4000.00.

As you can now understand, I refer to it as fateful DE05 AVV.

Obviously all the malice has passed though as I didn't kick it or run my keys along the paintwork, its someone else's baby now and they might love it.

Kerris disappeared for a moment with some brake fluid though.......

No comments: