I went to see Queen & Paul Rodgers in Liverpool on the 18th October and all in all it was a great show.
I haven't commented on this new life of Queen with their new singer in any depth but I bought the new album (The Cosmos Rocks) and I stuck with it for a while and now there are only 2 or 3 tracks on it that I cant bear!!! Thankfully, the tracks they played from the new album rocked enough and went down well..
My overall opinion was that while the album is a valid collaboration, it should never have gone under the banner of Queen and....
While Fred has his excuses, the fact that John Deacon retired and cant be bothered joining in makes it not Queen.
So the album and the concert should go under the heading of Brian, Roger and Paul. And in that way, its cool with me.
As for the concert, Timmy Mallett could be up there as lead singer and I would still love it!! Anything that gets Brian and Roger up playing the hits that they were a huge part of makes me smile. So I loved it!!!
Up top is Fat Bottomed Girls and down below, for all you who seek the 8 minute guitar solo side of life, is a........8 minute guitar solo!!!
1 comment:
Your thoughts mirror my own as to the state of Queen.
Not having Fred is bad enough, but I think it's been underestimated what the absence of John Deacon would do to this band.
The heavy side of Queen was always tempered by Deacy's pop leanings - which ultimately led the band onto bigger and better things post 1975, when most of Queen's Glam rivals were flagging.
"Cosmos Rocks" is the kind of album Brian and Roger have waited a lifetime to do, and having Paul Rodgers on board is like the icing on top of the cake.
But they should never, ever have gone out under the "Queen" banner at all, because "Cosmos Rocks" bears little or no resembalance to the Queen we know and love. It's just thud, thud, thud. And the new AC/DC album's much the same - and that's not very interesting either.
A lot of Queen's music was fairly ironic and humourous. Apart from "Call Me" (a Rodgers song?) which is quite upbeat and inventive, "Cosmos Rocks" lack any imagination and fun.
But if you're into that sort of thing, who am I to argue.....
Post a Comment