Its not often I save money for my family, in fact, I am known for harbouring debts and generally costing us money so this made a nice change!!!
Our mortgage is due up in December, we have enjoyed a low rate for the last few years and the size of our mortgage (details withheld) as apposed to the value of our house (details again withheld to protect the innocent) make it very easy for Kerris and I to be able to shop about.
I have always been a fan of the fixed rate, it only goes up or down when the fixed rate term is up so it allows us to budget. Part of our current mortgage is on a variable rate and I would say we have seen it rise more often than fall.
I heard on the radio a few months ago that people generally should review their rates every 3 years so being on a 3 year fixed rate suits me.
Our current lender, Coventry Building Society where given first shot at offering us a new deal, this was a few weeks ago and I was offered some rate, plus a £999.00 arrangement fee. I held off until we had seen our friendly financial advisor today.
The upshot was that her advice was to run with a rate I had been offered by the Coventry and we also had another letter in the meantime wavering arrangement fees. We were in fact onto a winner!!
So my holding off saved us £999.00 and of that I am proud!!!
Friday, 17 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Actually you saved £999 not £1000.
In these credit crunch times, every penny counts! ;-) hehehe
Post a Comment