Friday, 23 May 2008

Visual Evoked Potentials


Regular readers of my blog might recall that I have always felt that my eyes are somehow connected to my condition. Until now, I haven't managed to convince my consultant that there is a link. Recently, he seemed in the mood to try things so we arranged a Visual Evoked Potential test to see if indeed my condition had affected my eyes.

In a nutshell, I have trouble with dark colours, especially black or grey colours in the dark. Now you may be saying.....everyone has trouble with black and grey colours in the dark but I know my eyes and since all this began, I have always felt that there has been some trouble there.

Specifically, in low light, if a shadow is projecting onto a dark surface, I have trouble making out what the dark surface is. Its all complicated but hopefully you get the jist!!!

So the Visual Evoked Potential tests involves connecting pads to your head and measuring electrical readings as colours change in front of you. In this way, using the old speed = distance divided by time equation, it can be calculated how long it takes my eyes to recognise colour change and how long it takes for this signal to reach the brain. There is obviously a standard speed for healthy people and in my case, if the optical nerve is damages, it will take longer for the change to register in my brain.

I dont really know what the point of this, however, my consultant is convinced that there is something non standard about my condition and hopefully this test gives him a pointer!!!

I also had blood taken at the same time to be tested for some other disease that it worse than MS. What could be worse? Well, lets not get excited and hope for a negative result!!!

No comments: