Wednesday, 28 March 2007

Back to the grindstone!!!

Today is Wednesday, and on Monday this week I returned to work after a lay off of nearly 3.1/2 weeks.

I took the time off work mainly because -

I felt unfit to drive (I do nearly 40000 miles a year, the equivalent of Australia and back and half way there again).
I was horizontal for 5 days following the lumbar puncture with headaches.
I was worried that the steroids would cause me to lose my almost legendary level headedness with several trying customers!!!

Anyway,Monday and Tuesday felt like hell, the equivalent of "return to work" jet lag and it was only today as I joined the masses on the Thelwall Viaduct with Terry Wogan protesting about how he earns no money from Children In Need and the fact that he invented TV gaffs long before he got the Eurovision result wrong recently that I felt like I had overcome my recent troubles and integrated back to being a useful member of society.

In my absence, you will be shocked as I was to learn that nothing in the security world has changed or moved on. Prices are still too high, our technology is still too basic and there is always another cheaper and better solution that kicks your own into touch waiting around the corner.

I have always had a slightly warped and tongue in cheek view of security anyway. People invest thousands of pounds into systems that are supposed to keep the bad guys out and let the good ones in without putting any thought in how systems can be beaten. For example, the best way into a secure building is to wait for someone who is allowed access to arrive and then tailgate them through the secure entrance once they have typed in their pin number or swiped their card. In large buildings this is easier as no one knows exactly who their work colleagues that share the building are and the fact that I could pop on a suit and follow them through means nothing to that person but I could then nick a few laptops, start a fire, plant an explosive or take an entire floor hostage.

The easy way to resolve this is to use turn stiles, but you barely ever see them, I am going to put a petition on the Number 10 website for turn stiles to be written into law and force the issue!!!!

My God, that sounded almost like a rant!!!

No comments: