Finally, something to feel better about!!!
I returned from seeing the consultant this evening with my wish granted of re-assurance and the lifting of anxiety!!!
I mainly went to chat about the numbness I had been feeling in my hands, its driving me slightly mad (see previous entry) and my worry was that this was something permanent linked to my Myelitis.
Instantly, he re-assured me that he didn't feel it was linked and then he started poking me around, testing my reflex responses, testing my muscle strength in hands and generally prodding at my arms and hands with any sharp object he could lay his hands on.
The result? He believes I have trapped nerves in my elbows which are causing these symptoms and he wants me to take some tests (mainly electrocuting me) to confirm his suspicions.
If it is trapped nerves then I have what is known as Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome - here is a useful link - and if you take the time to read the page, the impressive thing is that it is exactly, almost word for word, how I described it to him. Impressive because I had no idea what my numbness would be caused by and Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome is a new one to me!!! So I am impressed with my ability to accurately describe symptoms!!!
Hopefully next week I can be electrocuted which is a test that measures my reaction to sharp objects by recording how long it takes for me to react. The longer it takes, the more chance I have of Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome.
If it is confirmed then a minor operation will follow rapidly and after being bruised and bandaged in the arm area for a few weeks I should be, as Nurse Nancy says in Jays' bedtime book, "Fit as a Fiddle".
I never thought I would look forward to having Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome but if its something other than the development of Myelitis then I am a happy bunny.
Oh, and how is this caused? Well the question was asked "Do you do any work where your elbows are raised or compressed for long periods of time?".
Well try 35000-40000 miles per year in my car for the last 6 years with elbows rested on solid armrests and doors!!!
It beggars belief as to why I never got it sooner!!!
Thursday, 2 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Here's a weird one. I have a slight tingling in my fourth finger in my right hand that's fairly constant, and it's more prevelant whilst driving when my elbow is resting on the sill.
I was telling your Mum about it last night, and I don't know what to think about it because I don't have any other problems elsewhere.
Apart from your brain problem that is ...
Reminds me of the boys from Bad News after Colin had to redo his bass lines over and over.
Colin Grigson - "I've never had to move my arm up and down so many times in my life!!"
Den Dennis - "Now is that true Colin?"
hehehehe
Mike - STOP IT or you'll go blind! ;-)
Andy, why is it that wherever you leave a comment of any substance about any subject, there is always someone who wants to make an abusive comment towards you!!!
My God, you just attract it!!!
Anyway, you may well have what I am experiencing. It affects the 4th and small finger of your hands. Get to the doctor and have it checked. It sounds mild so it might be treated with anti inflamitories so no electrocution is required.
My problem right now is that I dont get things that are slight, they just barge in with all their might!!!
I have loads of people who dislike me and leave mad, nasty comments on me blog from time to time. I find it all hysterical :)
The thing is, aside from probably doing in a few mentalist people who live on a secluded corner of the British Isles, I keep me head down and say bog all to people (apart from my blog ha, ha!)
Post a Comment