Wednesday, 18 April 2007

I dont have a trade as such!!!

Its always worried me that I did not do well in school and that while most of my year were busy doing "A" Levels, I was busy re-sitting GCSE's as I had basically wasted my school life trying to look like the class idiot!!!

I remember the day well, it was the day that we collected our 5th Year GCSE results following on from taking our exams. I did not think at the time that I was going to do well and my god was I right.

I opened the envelope to find that the only subject I had attained a healthy "C" in was Geography. There you go, pretty important stuff eh!!! At least I would always know where I was. I basically finished my school life with the ability to know where I was and the ability to attention seek.

So the following 2 years were spent getting the grades that eluded me, and as people where leaving the 6th form with the "A" Levels required to progress onto University, I was leaving with the GCSE's required to do "A" Levels. By this time, it was time to start earning a living.

One thing or another led me into sales roles, I started in metal wholesaling and with a nod from my good friend Nick, I took a job at a security wholesaler.

And in security is where I stayed. I now work as a Sales Manager and I navigate the UK attention seeking for new business. So in that way, my skills match my qualifications!!!

Professionally, I still want to progress and for some reason, computers and me have always had a logical kinship that I am exploring a bit further. I have started studying towards becoming an IT professional. At the very least, I see a link between security and IT knowledge as the 2 sectors are coming closer as network technology develops. I see lots of IT professionals who don't know the first thing about security and conversely I see a lot of security professionals who don't know the fist thing about IT. I will bridge this gap I hope and get myself a pretty hi tech trade along the way.

No comments: