I have huge problems with Wrestling.
I don't like Wrestling, I never have really and it probably comes from the fact that I knew it was a piece of pantomime from an early age. A relative of mine used to wrestle in Blackpool and gave all of the secrets away so as much as Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks used to smash 10 bells out of each other, I knew that behind the scenes, they probably shared a passion for floral arrangements and afternoon teas together.
Anyway, Wrestling today is an altogether more serious affair. It started last summer with Luca asking for a John Cena hat to wear if they were working outside on a sunny day at school and gradually, the ugly shadow of RAW, WWE and all the associated paraphernalia have crept upon us.
So our Luca is as much of an innocent 10 year old as you can get. He knows little of the world that awaits him in adulthood and I am pleased that my family like the idea of our children retaining their innocence for as long as we can get away with it.
So it doesn't help when all the kids at Luca's school who are generally spoiled to the hilt anyway start getting PlayStation games that have a 16+ certificate and start copying the moves in the playground.
Then you see it on TV. SKY make no attempt to watershed it and its all about beating the living hell out of your opponent and then taking the microphone to tell the world how much pain they will leave the next guy in.
Then you get the entrance and victory music which sounds like the kind of stuff that plays on the Kerrang channel and its all about "Now you're gonna pay" and pain and all manner of unpleasant acts.
Perhaps I am old fashioned but as I write this, Kerris is in bedroom telling our 3 year old son not to wrestle with her.
There are a lot of irresponsible adults out there who don't seem to give a toss what their kids do and watch as it keeps them out of their way. I am not one of those and as such, even though ultimately it is a losing battle, I will fight on.
Saturday, 7 April 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment